Would you put one of those yellow "Baby on Board" magnets on your car? I have been contemplating this the past few days. Okay, I'll be honest. I bought one. A moment of weakness at Babies R Us. In that moment, I had mental flashes of those insane highway drivers who weave in and out of traffic and tailgate and erratically merge in front of you when clearly there isn't enough distance between yours and the preceding car. This magnet would work, I thought. This magnet will tell people to drive cautiously around me because, I've got a Baby on Board.
That's what I thought at Babies R Us, but then I came home and skepticism set in. I used to think these magnets were ridiculously stupid. As cliche as pocket protectors and cell phone belt clips and BMWs. What happened to me? How could this have seemed like a good idea? Am I destined to become one of "those" moms? One day it's the Baby on Board magnet, the next I'm wearing a pair of Jordache mom jeans?
But, I still had a nagging feeling of protectiveness lingering, so I decided that I would do an internet search to look for any statistics as to whether or not the magnets actually helped to promote safe driving. If they were effective, I would proudly slap mine on the back of my car, abandon any hope of being a "cool" mom, but assured that I have taken every known safeguard to protect my baby. If not, well, I'll have to find something else to do with that magnet.
My search turned up nothing but a host of tirades from people angrily ranting about how much they despise these signs. One person even said he felt more inclined to ram into a vehicle displaying one. No one had a positive comment about them, unless you count the companies that manufacture them. All of this made me seriously question my judgement. I am going to have to be much more cautious if I am to avoid turning into one of "those" moms.
A few days ago, while watching one of the many Bravo reality shows that Mark and I are obsessed with, a commercial came on and my dear husband remarked "That is exactly how you are going to be as a mom." It was one of the Toyota Sienna commercials, the one with the diaper bag. I'm not sure how I should take that.
Incidently, if you haven't gone on YouTube and watched the Sienna Family commercials, you probably should. They have lots on there that I haven't seen before, and they are hi-larious. My favorites are Meet the Parents, Swagger Wagon, and Mommy Like Versatility. Oh, and you should probably watch Daddy Like Bonding Time. Actually, maybe you should just watch them all.
I've decided that I'm not going to use my Baby on Board sign on the car. I'm a little concerned that there may be more negative implications than positive ones. Like, if I'm on the road with that guy who is one magnet away from ramming his vehicle into mine like we're in a demolition derby. But, luckily, I've found another use for my sign.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment