Adventures through pregnancy and parenthood

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mederma Isn't Going to Work on This Scar

I had such a productive week. My classroom is nearly completely set up. I made record time this year. I love productivity. A day that I can get some things crossed off my list is a great day for me. To extend this streak of efficiency, I decided to stop into the Wal-Mart down by my school to pick up a few things.

It was pleasantly quiet inside Wal-Mart on this particular day. Normally, I try to avoid the store. It seems that whenever I'm there, the child-to-adult ratio is about 15:1; and the majority of those children are running through the aisles, playing hide-and-seek, tag, and otherwise screaming like banchees. And their parents are either clueless or pretending to be clueless. It makes me crazy. The teacher in me is compelled to reprimand these little fiends, and if the mood strikes me, I do. "No Running!" "Your mother told you to come over there, and you need to listen." I can't help myself. Especially since probably half of these children are students at my school, so it sort of just seems like an extension to the school day.

But, as I mentioned, this visit was quite the opposite. I calmly perused the aisles in peace. I picked up the items that I came for, and a few things that I didn't. Walking past the women's section, I spotted a display of underware. I have recently grown to have an affinity towards the comfort and coverage of granny panties. These days, when it comes to undergarments, the bigger the better. I stood there, inspecting the color and sizes, when to my right, I heard a voice say "Hi, Mrs. Bittenbender!"

I glanced over to see one of the students from my school. I did not have him in my class, and I am unsure of him name, but I recognized him--I think maybe a fourth or fifth grader; a nice one, the kind that holds the door open for you and says hello in the hallway.

Any teacher can imagine the look on a student's face when they spot you out in the "real world" doing regular stuff. They are so shocked and excited to see you outside of the school environment. Like in disbelief that teachers actually go grocery shopping, or to a restaurant. The younger, the more astonished they are.

The next moment passed quickly, but it was seemingly slow-motion. The nice boy had that familiar excited expression on his face when he first saw me, but then he noticed what I was holding up in my hands--a set of gigantic granny panties. His expression changed from excitement...to surprise...and then utter disgust.

I decided to play it nonchalant. I placed the undies in my basket and said,"Oh, hi. I hope you're having a good summer!" He nodded and then we both spun about face and carried on in opposite directions.

Retrospectively, I probably should exercise more prudence when it comes to shopping for unmentionables. Like, not do it anywhere in the vacinity of my school. But, truly, I am not the victim here. The memory of one of his knocked-up teachers purchasing an enormous pair of underware will surely scar that poor child for life. I can only pray that time will heal the wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...