Adventures through pregnancy and parenthood

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, July 19, 2010

How Big Is Baby?

Like most pregnant ladies, I subscribe to those weekly pregnancy tracker emails. I think I'm getting about four per week, which is probably overkill; The Bump, Fit Pregnancy, Baby Center, Planning Family, and there may even be another one. Among advertisements, links to FAQ's, and discussion streams, each email gives a brief summary about what is happening with the baby's development that week, usually including a length and weight estimate and a size similarity.

I've noticed that the writers of these size analogies are all strangely produce-centric. Week 8, my baby was apparently the size of a raspberry. Week 12, she had grown to resemble a plum, and by week 16, had the likeness of an avocado. Then she got a little fancy in week 19 and morphed into an heirloom tomato. This week, which is 21, I have either a banana or carrot sprouting in my belly, depending upon which email you read.

Maybe it's the hormones that get me worked up, but I am getting seriously annoyed with these comparisons. Irrationally angry. Why are these people so obsessed with fruits and vegetables? Are they being bribed by the agricultural industry to subliminally suggest produce cravings in pregnant women? Well, I'll have you know that it is NOT working. I do not want a green olive (week 9), a kumquat (week 10), a fig (week 11), or a lemon (week 14). Nor do I have a hankering for a naval orange (week 15), a turnip (week 17), a sweet potato (week 18), OR a cantaloupe (week 20).

I'm just hoping for the day I get an email that says "Your baby is the size of a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon." Now that's an analogy I can get excited about.

1 comment:

  1. My baby has not turned into a bottle of cabernet yet. She is only at the "pineapple" stage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...